30 November 2016

Ceres FC denies having 2 teams in the PFL

By Jerome S. Galunan, Jr.
The management of Ceres-Negros FC denied claims they are fielding a second team in next year’s Philippines Football League (PFL).
Last week, a Mindanao-based paper reported, apart from Bacolod City, Ceres would also have a team based in Davao City.
Club Administrator Nicolas Golez, over the weekend, insisted they only have one club.
Meanwhile, Ceres FC is set to resume training on December 26, for the 2017 Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Cup qualifying playoff, which takes place in February./
WDJ

29 November 2016

5 clubs sign up for new PH Football League

by Rick Olivares
MANILA -- The Philippines Football League (PFL) now has five official football clubs.
This, according to Philippine Football Federation (PFF) general-secretary Atty. Edwin Gastanes in a phone interview on Tuesday.
With the hosting for the Suzuki Cup over, the PFF is turning its attention to the launch of the PFL that will supersede the United Football League (UFL) as the top tier of Philippine club football competition.
“The UFL was instrumental is keeping football popular and viable for us. People must recognize their efforts. However, the league was Manila-based, while the PFL will be national in scope with clubs relocating to key cities. We are following the mandate of FIFA for this,” explained Gastanes.
“Clubs will be regionally and community based. The idea is also to develop local support including a fan base.”
The five clubs are Stallion, Kaya, Loyola, Global, and Ceres.
“The required number of clubs for the league is six to play. But it is possible we could have a field of eight clubs. Besides, the deadline for clubs to participate in the new national league is by year’s end,” Gastanes said.
“We have heard from other clubs who have expressed interest but they need to comply with certain procedures and licensing regulations before they can be officially accepted into the roster of teams,” he clarified.
According to Gastanes, Global, the three-time UFL champions, will be changing the name of their club. “We have yet to be informed what their club will be called,” he said.
Regarding television coverage, Gastanes said several parties have signified their intent to cover the league. “At the moment, it is a bidding process and we will only make the announcement when terms are reached,” he said.
The PFL is slated to kick off either by the last week of March or the first week of April 2017.

28 November 2016

Global FC hire Terry Butcher as new coach !

Global Fc hire former  England NT captain Terry Butcher as new coach reporting Sun Star Cebu.

Bilderesultat for terry butcher

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/sports/2016/11/25/limpag-how-will-cebuanos-welcome-global-fc-511669

His coaching career has been not so impressive...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Butcher

27 November 2016

Azkals back to square one, but they will rise

by Olmin Leyba
BOCAUE, Philippines – The Philippine Azkals have come full circle in the Asean Football Federation (AFF) Suzuki Cup.
From an outsider pre-2010, they forced themselves into the company of the regions elite. From a certified contender carrying high expectations six years later, they now found themselves plummeting back to the doghouse after a bungled campaign on home soil.
“We won’t shy away from it, it’s a disaster,” said Fil-German Stephan Schrock.
The Filipinos bombed out of the Last-4 picture after yielding a 0-1 heartbreaker to a Thailand side that, with an early semis qualification on hand, sat out top guns like Teerasil Dangda, Chanatip Songkram and Kawin Thamsatchanan.
It didn’t help any that the Azkals settled for back-to-back draws to start their bid, failing to get the maximum points in the opener against 10-man Singapore and rallying back to tie Indonesia.
“We’re really disappointed at the moment. But there’s always tomorrow and there’s always positive things to take away. We’ll analyze it and come back stronger,” Schrock said after his maiden Suzuki Cup stint got its worst possible ending.
The stars didn’t align to give the Azkals their shining moment in the very first Suzuki Cup held on Phl soil.
Regulars Patrick Reichelt and Simone Rota suffered season-ending injuries. Then so close to the tournament start, top striker Javier Patino and dependable centerback Daisuke Sato were deemed unavailable due to club commitments.
The team missed their steady presence in front, midfield and back.
Additionally, there were reportedly some issues needed to be resolved weeks before the tournament. Sources said training was stalled as they threshed out matters concerning the players’ allowances.
The expected crowd hardly came to the games to push the Azkals harder in the so-called Group of Death, as well.
Now it’s time to lick their wounds and do some serious soul-searching.
“The progression of football has been there and not qualifying for the semis, it feels disappointing because we have high expectations,” said skipper Phil Younghusband, who was switched from striker to holding mid in a deployment that some felt didn’t work out.
“We had such good players and we know the quality. So the circumstances of Philippine football at the moment, it’s not always easy,” he added.
Up next for the Azkals will be the third round of the qualifiers for the 2019 AFC Asian Cup.
“We should do the right thing we need to do for the Asian Cup. We need to have good preparation, maybe four weeks of constant training,” said coach Thomas Dooley.
http://www.philstar.com/sports/2016/11/27/1647893/azkals-back-square-one-they-will-rise

Azkals come to grief

By: 

What was supposed to be a showcase of the progress of the Philippine national team the past six years became an illustration of the amount of work that needs to be done to keep the Azkals in the upper echelons of Southeast Asian football.
Being Southeast Asia’s top-ranked team and host of the group stage for the first time, the Azkals entered the Asean Football Federation (AFF) Suzuki Cup as one of the favorites to advance to the semifinals, despite the presence of former semifinal conquerors Thailand, Singapore and Indonesia.
But the Azkals came to grief Friday night after losing to Thailand, 0-1, before another sparse crowd at faraway Philippine Sports Stadium in Bocaue, Bulacan. The tournament went down the wire—down to the last six minutes of the final Group A matches last Friday night, when the last semifinalist from the group was decided.


Thailand, unbeaten in three matches, and Indonesia, which fought back from a goal down to beat Singapore, 2-1, advanced. The Philippines and Singapore got the boot.
Two points from three matches weren’t enough and, after Sarawut Masuk beat Roland Muller on the breakaway in the 81st minute, the Azkals’ run of three semifinal appearances in the tournament came to a halt.
The result against the Thais would have been enough had Indonesia and Singapore drew in a simultaneous match at Rizal Memorial Stadium. But Stefano Lilipaly, the Dutch-Indonesian midfielder, lived up to the hype, banging in a volley from inside the area to send the perennially underachieving Indonesians to the next round.
While the small Indonesian contingent whooped it up at the final whistle in Manila, there was heartbreak  in Bocaue—a pain that was the exact opposite of the mood in past AFF Suzuki Cup tournaments when the Azkals bucked odds and took down some of the region’s best teams.
Midfielder Stephan Schrock minced no words as the Azkals came to grips with the result. “It’s a disaster,” he said. “We are all disappointed at the moment. We won’t shy from it.”
The Azkals may have been doomed from the start. Unable to sustain the momentum of their stunning 3-2 win over North Korea in World Cup Qualifying last March, the Azkals— out of action for the next five months—groped for form.
The preparation was far from ideal and all the signs were there for everyone to see when they suffered friendly losses to Bahrain and North Korea last October. Azkals coach Thomas Dooley saw no reason to panic. “If the Suzuki Cup were [held] tomorrow then I would be worried,” Dooley said then.
He said he had a good plan in the Suzuki Cup and the players were firm in their belief that they could break new ground in the tournament. “I believe in the players and in our capability as a team,” said Phil Younghusband, the Azkals skipper.
Younghusband’s statement may have masked the concerns within the squad. There were just too many players playing out of position, including Younghusband himself—a prolific striker now deployed as a defensive midfielder by Dooley. There was a lack of defenders in the squad. The vocal leaders of past runs such as Rob Gier were no longer around and nobody seemed ready to take the leadership mantle.
To watch it all unfold—and unravel—in the Suzuki Cup, in front of Filipino fans, was tough to take. But even in diversity, there was always faith in the team’s capacity to pull through. Not this time.
The Azkals struggled to break down Singapore even though the enemy was down to 10 men, managing just a a point from the scoreless draw. The second match offered hope as the Azkals, showing the never-say-die spirit of old, fought back from a goal down twice to hold off Indonesia, 2-2, setting the stage for a tight Group A finish.
Younghusband’s curling free kick for the equalizer in the 81st minute was a reminder of his quality when he’s closer to goal. But it was still in the Azkals’ hands heading into the match against Thailand, which had already qualified after winning its first two matches.
The Thais had the luxury of resting their stars, like Teerasil Dangda and Chanathip Songkrasin, but even their so-called “B” team is filled with talented players.
Dooley gambled on his defense, this time putting 17-year-old Marco Casambre at central defense alongside Amani Aguinaldo. And while the teenager acquitted himself after a shaky start, Dooley sacrificed him for the more attack-minded Kevin Ingreso in search of a winner late on against the Thais.
The move backfired as the back line, already settled before Casambre left, allowed Sarawut to score on the breakaway. It was one gamble too many for Dooley.
“Obviously, this is not what everybody expected,” said Dooley. “We created a lot of chances, we didn’t have 100-percent chances, but we had six, seven, maybe eight good chances. We wanted to run a little bit because we knew the score from Singapore-Indonesia. Maybe it was a little too risky trying to play offside.”
In the end, the Thais, a class above the rest with their quality and free-flowing style, deserved topping Group A. The Indonesians also earned their berth to the next round by playing without fear on attack.
As for the Azkals, there will be plenty of scrutiny in the coming months with the next competition slated in March yet. The positives cannot be ignored, though, with Casambre emerging as a viable option at the back and Pika Minegishi and Mike Ott bringing attacking verve.
Still, there will be questions that need to be answered before the team takes the next step forward. Is a revamp on the cards? Is Dooley still the man for the job? Is the Philippine Football Federation developing enough talent from the age-group level to make the senior team? Can the Azkals prepare poorly and still expect to get away with wins? Are games promoted enough to fill the stadium for the Azkals’ home games?
The period of introspection begins.
“There’s always tomorrow and there are always some positive things to take away,” said Schrock. “We’ll analyze that and come back stronger.”


Read more: http://sports.inquirer.net/230775/azkals-come-grief#ixzz4RCVmMWRk

26 November 2016

Woodland Joins The Minstermen

Philippines international arrives...

MIDFIELDER Luke Woodland has today joined York City 
following his release by League One side Oldham Athletic.

The 21-year-old will go straight into Gary Mills’ squad for
the tomorrow’s National League fixture against Bromley.

The Philippines international joined Bolton Wanderers at the
age of eight,progressing through the club’s academy
 before signing two-year
professional contract in 2013.

During his time with the Macron Stadium outfit, the youngster
joinedLeague One side Oldham Athletic on loan in March
2015 and went on to make six appearances, earning himself
the Man of theMatch award in the fourth of those outings.

At the end of the 2014/15 campaign however, Woodland was
released by parent club Bolton Wanderers and following trails
with Major League Soccer outfit side New York Red Bulls
 returned home and had spells with Chester and Bradford Park
Avenue last season.

In July of this year, it was announced that Woodland had
re-joined the Latics for a second time and he went on to
make two appearances for Steve Robinson’s side before
his departure from Boundary Park.

Earlier this month, Woodland played for City's reserves in their 3-0
home victory over Mansfield Town.

Read more at http://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/luke-woodland-york-city-minstermen-oldham-athletic-3436454.aspx#jGWRyqtH5ssmHLzT.99

25 November 2016

Dooley pleased with young Casambre’s performance

By:  

BOCAUE – It may have looked like a risk to some, but for Philippine coach Thomas Dooley, putting Marco Casambre as the starting center back for the Azkals in their all-important match against Thailand in the 2016 AFF Suzuki Cup on Friday was just the right move.
Dooley said he was impressed with what he saw from Casambre in practice, leading him to give the young gun the starting job.
“Marco showed in training that he’s awake, and he’s there. He has a good left foot, makes less mistakes passing out of the back, he’s good in the air. He fought against everybody and I thought I had to give him a chance to play against them,” he said.


“That’s why I made the decision to make him our center back and play next to Amani (Aguinaldo), two young players. Jeffrey (Christiaens) could play in the outside, maybe get a little bit more involved in the offense.”
The 17-year-old Casambre had his baptism of fire for the national team on Friday, but held his own in the backline against the tough War Elephants.
Dooley shared it was also a part of his game plan to take advantage of Thailand resting most of its starters and utilizing its second team.
“We needed to have a little bit more speed in the center, especially for counters. That’s why I took Marco and Jeffrey in, and have little more experienced players like Kevin (Ingreso) should be good enough for the last 20 minutes. That was the idea,” he said.
Casambre did a good account of himself before subbing out at the 79th minute in lieu of Kevin Ingreso.
Unfortunately, the Philippines lost to Thailand, 1-0, bowing out of the biennial meet after finishing with only two points.
Still, it was a promising run for the University of the Philippines defender, earning praise from no less than Dooley himself.
“We could have been 1-0 before (Thailand) scored, but it didn’t happen. I was pleased with the way Marco played,” he said.


Read more: http://sports.inquirer.net/230706/dooley-pleased-with-casambres-performance-as-starter#ixzz4R3GtPFC6

Azkals lose to Thais, bomb out of Suzuki Cup at home

By:  

BOCAUE, Bulacan – There would be no miracle this time for the Philippine Azkals.
The Philippines’ run of semifinal appearances in the AFF Suzuki Cup came to a heartbreaking end Friday night after the Azkals absorbed a 0-1 defeat to a Thailand side that didn’t even field its best team.
Sarawut Masuk left the Azkals’ hopes of a fourth straight Last Four stint in tatters with a composed finish past Roland Muller in the 81st minute for his second goal of the tournament at Philippine Sports Stadium.

And with Indonesia nipping Singapore, 2-1, at Rizal Memorial Stadium, the results meant it was the Indonesians who are joining the unbeaten Thais in the next round with four points.
The Azkals finished Group A with two points for third spot with Singapore also eliminated with a single point from three games.
The race for the last semifinal berth went down the wire last night.
And for the first 84 minutes, Singapore and the Philippines had taken turns in getting a seat in the semifinals.
Stefano Lilipally struck the winner for the Indonesians in the 84th minute at Rizal Memorial, effectively eliminating the Azkals and the Lions.
A draw between Singapore-Indonesia would have been enough for the Azkals to reach the next round had they just lost by a single goal to the Thais.
“I couldn’t say anything more because the players gave it everything they’ve got,” said Azkals coach Thomas Dooley. “It’s disappointing but we have to move on.”
The defeat and consequent first round exit, however, will be tough to swallow.
Expectations were soaring after the Azkals produced a string of impressive results since the previous edition of the tournament when they suffered a semifinal exit in Bangkok.
And with the group stage finally being played at home, excitement was building with Azkals stars openly declaring that a finals appearance is on the cards. Their bark, however, didn’t match their bite.


Read more: http://sports.inquirer.net/230657/azkals-lose-to-thais-bomb-out-of-suzuki-cup-at-home#ixzz4R3G0G5d1